Napavine Man Charged With Second-Degree Assault; Bail Set at $50,000


A 41-year-old Napavine man was arrested and booked into Lewis County Jail early Monday morning after allegedly assaulting a woman while the two were driving home from a night out.

Kyle D. Scott had his first day in court on Monday and bail was set at $50,000. A no-contact order was also issued by the presiding Lewis County Superior Court judge for the victim.

Scott faces charges of second-degree assault substantial bodily harm, which carries with it a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and possibly a fine of up to $20,000.

The charge stems from an incident that allegedly occurred Sunday night while the two were driving back home from Tacoma along Interstate 5, according to court documents.

The pair were having a night out at an open mic event in Tacoma. Scott reportedly thought his the woman was heckling him while he was singing at the event, and the two got into a dispute once he was done.

“(She told officers) that while they were in their vehicle traveling down Interstate 5 towards home in Napavine, the fight escalated and Scott began striking her in the face with the back of his hand and knuckles,” court documents read. “She stated at one point she lifted her foot and tried to kick him in the head to get him to stop, at which time he grabbed her foot and bit her in the ankle.”

She was reportedly in the passenger seat during this dispute. According to court documents, he also struck her when they got to the Centralia-Chehalis exits.

Officers were originally called out to a house on West Washington Street in Napavine the day of the incident and observed that she had a broken nose, gash on her lip and was bleeding around the nostrils. Scott was not at the house then.

The woman reportedly called police back around 1 a.m. on Monday, saying that he had returned to the house and was “causing a scene.” When deputies arrived, they found Scott hiding near the property. As police arrested him, Scott allegedly said he probably deserved it.

An arraignment and trial setting date had been set for Thursday.