Aberdeen Shooting

The scene of an officer involved shooting Monday in Aberdeen.

A 41-year-old Aberdeen man who reportedly pulled a gun on an Aberdeen Police officer late Monday morning was shot by an officer and later died at the hospital, according to a statement released by Aberdeen Police Chief Steve Shumate.

The man was well-known by police and was wanted for various felony warrants, said Shumate. An officer spotted the man walking in the area of Broadway and Heron streets shortly before noon, and as the officer approached, “the man told the officer several times that he was not going back to prison,” said Shumate.

When the officer ordered the man to stop, Shumate said the man “started to reach for something in his pants pockets,” then fled on foot southwest toward State Street.

Another officer joined the foot pursuit, and as the suspect neared the West State Street area at the foot of Broadway, “the suspect pulled a gun on the pursuing officer,” said Shumate. “The officer had ordered the man to drop the gun before the suspect was shot multiple times. The suspect later died at the hospital from his injuries.”

According to Aberdeen Police Lt. Dale Green shortly after the shooting, no officers were injured in the incident.

According to Shumate, the suspect was a convicted felon with multiple warrants for his arrest. Warrants were issued Aug. 28 for obstructing police, attempting to elude a police vehicle, and possession of methamphetamine.

The Region 3 Critical Incident Investigation Team, including detectives from Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, and Thurston County Sheriff’s offices, are investigating with assistance from the Washington State Patrol, said Shumate. The team has “extensive experience with investigating officer-involved shootings or deadly force incidents,” said Shumate, who added the officer involved has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation.

West State Street was blocked off shortly after the shooting from M Street east to the ramp to the Chehalis River Bridge for the investigation. The side streets and alleys between West Heron and State streets in the area were also blocked off. There was no timeline given for reopening.

At the scene, two blue Hoquiam Police Department tents were set up in a parking area just west of Maistros Used Tire Shop on State Street near the southbound bridge on-ramp. Under one appeared to be a pair of shoes and some articles of clothing.

Agencies at the scene included the Aberdeen and Hoquiam Police departments, State Fish and Wildlife, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office and the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.