Lewis County Watch

Visit www.lewiscountywatch.com for news on courts and emergency services in Lewis County and surrounding areas. 

A man thought to be in his 40s was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle Monday morning after he was seriously burned in a tent fire near the organic farm at The Evergreen State College.

The fire occurred on Evergreen property, but was west of the main campus on Lewis Road.

The fire was contained after it grew to about a half-acre, said Capt. Casey Sobol with McLane/Black Lake Fire Department. His crews were dispatched about 5:15 a.m. Monday.

Sobol said fire crews with the state Department of Natural Resources were still on scene about 9:30 a.m. Monday.

The fire started after the man lit a candle in his tent, which then caught the tent on fire and spread. The man eventually made his way to an emergency phone at the school’s organic farm and reported the incident.

Capt. Sobol described the man’s burns as “severe.” Sobol said about 2:30 p.m. Monday that the man was in critical condition in the intensive care burn unit at Harborview.

College spokeswoman Sandra Kaiser said the man was not a student and was not allowed to camp in that area.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.